New for 2008!
Newfoundland Moose Hunt
Located in Area 22 (Sylt Lake)
Newfoundland... The Moose Capital of North America
In terms of moose per square mile, no place on earth can rival Newfoundland for its capacity of moose. Approximately 120,000 animals roam the 43,000-square mile island where success rates among nonresident hunters are over 85%. Moose have thrived in Newfoundland for a century because a continuous harvest of the forest has meant extensive ongoing tree re-growth and a moose population strategy that has balanced the number of animals with hunting and available forage. Moose on the island of Newfoundland have rack spreads that measure 40 to 45 inches, with many reaching the 50 inch class.
Sylt Lake Tent Camps
- Sylt Lake -Located in moose management area 22.
- Where? - Central - Northeast coast of Newfoundland between Gander and Grand Falls.
- Season starts -2nd Saturday in September with the limited number of licenses at 4 hunters per week. We finish - mid to end of October.
- Rutting Season - Last week of September - first two weeks of October.
- Average distance of shot - 100 - 200 yards.
- Caliber - minimum of 30-06.
- Bow hunters - only during rut - 50/50 opportunity - 30 to 40 yard shot. Much depends on hunters skill.
- Moose antler size - 30 to 40 inch spread / possibility of 50 inch. 800 lbs.- up to 1200 lbs in weight.
- Success rates – 75% kill – 100 % sightings.
- Hunters can fly into Gander International Airport (YQX) Gander, NL – approximately one hour from camp. Drive via Port - Aux - Basques Ferry – approximately 5 ½ hours from ferry. Marine Atlantic 1-800-344-7981.
- Canadian Firearms Questions – 1-800-731-4000 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Animals are out of velvet by the end of the first week of September.
- There is a butcher with freezer capacity within 45 minutes of camp. Cost $150.00 to $200.00 per animal to butcher. Styrofoam trays- plastic wrap. Every cut will be labeled. ( Hunters Expense).
- Price includes: Transportation from airport / accommodations in tents - meals - guide - 1-2 hunters - field dressing animal-5 full days of hunting and 6 nights lodging and License Fee. Does not include - Butchering or transportation of meat back to the U.S.
- Terrain – Moose travel in fairly thick cover with a lot of undergrowth. There are large bogs (swamp like areas ) where they feed and cross. There are numerous forest access roads and cut over areas for use of trucks and ATVs.
- Limit of 4 hunters per week (your choice).
- Eastern Canadian Moose are the same species as those hunted in Maine – smaller than their Yukon cousins.
- Black Bear can be hunted at the same time and in the same area.
- Fishing season is closed during the fall moose season.
Deposits are due by July 1st and are non refundable, but may be transferred to a later date in the same hunting year.
- Moose Hunting: $3500.U.S.D. per person.
- Black Bear hunting ( By Sight), may be combined for an additional fee of $500.00 U.S.D.
Call or E-Mail for Reservations or Information:
Vernon Upton: (207)694-3423
Charles Upton: (207)538-9379
Gary Travers: (709) 944-6315
4036 Duley Cresent, Labrador City, NL A2V 2R4